to pet owners

ASH

most of yall prolly know about it  but be careful with pets  around water ,   this happened here in NC  where i live   .  blue green algae  blooms are a killer .  

ive  2 irrigation ponds  but thats all it is used for  .  no way i would go in it or let pets go in , im working on a small role  in this problem with NC  STATE  AG  , my 2 ponds ive had tested are negative

i also have  filters in place when using the water ,  it makes me think where was this crap back when i was a kid swimming in ponds and playing in creeks  ,because as a kid 

we were always swinging on ropes into lakes and ponds 

https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/nation/2019/08/13/blue-green-algae-kills-dogs-north-carolina-pond-owner-says/1995217001/

Edited by ASH
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 3

1 hour ago, ASH said:

it makes me think where was this crap back when i was a kid swimming in ponds and playing in creeks  ,because as a kid 

we were always swinging on ropes into lakes and ponds 

Same as me.  We swam in rivers.  Would swim up under the scum in the still water and come up looking like the creature from the black lagoon just for fun.  We never got sick.

Dave..

1 minute ago, DrB said:

Same as me.  We swam in rivers.  Would swim up under the scum in the still water and come up looking like the creature from the black lagoon just for fun.  We never got sick.

Dave..

I remember when I was in junior  high school and I went with a bunch of kids to the Granite quarries to swim.  Two quarries were separated by a very rough stretch of Granite out cropping, that had about 3 inches of very warm water with all kinds of algae and scum floating in it.  As I walked between the two quarries, my toe slipped under a piece of Granite and it sliced open from the nail down to my foot.  It peeled skin back like a grape.

I was concerned that it would get infected but I kept a bandage on it and it healed without a problem.  I don't know how kids lived through their younger years, but like the posts above, no one got ill and no one caught anything but cuts and bruises. 

• Like 1

My dog spent the better half of the day playing in water holes here.  I live in the country.  She is a dog and loves the water and mud holes.  So be it, I am not going to put her on a leash, nor would she want that.. 

Dave..

• Like 1

We took our new dog camping last week.  She's like a big poodle.  Like Orphan Annie's dog.  But bigger.  And still growing,  it seems.

She's a huge rope-mop with four legs.

She had so much fun and got so grody and encrusted and filthy,  that my wife decided to have her washed and groomed.

They called and said that there were so many burrs stuck and matted in there that they recommended that she get a buzz-shave.

Now we have a greyhound.

• Like 1
  • Haha 3
  • Sad 1

22 minutes ago, Huaco Kid said:

We took our new dog camping last week.  She's like a big poodle.  Like Orphan Annie's dog.  But bigger.  And still growing,  it seems.

She's a huge rope-mop with four legs.

She had so much fun and got so grody and encrusted and filthy,  that my wife decided to have her washed and groomed.

They called and said that there were so many burrs stuck and matted in there that they recommended that she get a buzz-shave.

Now we have a greyhound.

They really are tremendous water dogs.

• Haha 1

19 hours ago, holyjohnson said:

if my lil buddy gets a drizzling of rain on him it is like he is trying to survive a volcanic eruption.

him getting in anything but a warm bath tub with the proper amount of bubbles is very,very unlikely.

but thanks!

If I say "It's raining" to my dog, he goes to his bed and curls up in a ball.

• Haha 1

I watched my Yorkie going potty in a heavy rain, when a lightning bolt must have hit within a block of us.  The bang was so close you could feel the shockwave in your body.  I thought sure my boy would freak, but he just looked up and kept peeing.  He is the coolest little guy in town.

He came in looking like a drowned rat, but he was the coolest drowned rat I know!

Edited by janice6
  • Like 1

15 hours ago, ASH said:

when the power is out  my dogs get really  worked up ,  i dunno  , a vet told me they hear a hum we cant and thats it , but i dunno if i buy that or not 

Critters do seem to smell many gases at low levels that we cannot, they also seem to feel vibrations and tremors that people don't.  They have a pretty good ability to get out of Dodge, anticipating earthquakes and low level stuff ahead of time.

I don't think the "hear" hum as much as they "feel"  it.  They have much better sensors than we do.

Edited by janice6

1 hour ago, janice6 said:

I don't think the "hear" hum as much as they "feel"  it.  They have much better sensors than we do.

One of my Border Collies would alert to storms coming in when it was still sunny and calm.  But yep two hours later the storms would come rolling in.

Dave..

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, DrB said:

One of my Border Collies would alert to storms coming in when it was still sunny and calm.  But yep two hours later the storms would come rolling in.

Dave..

I routinely visit the neighbors dog over the fence, and when I reach out to pet her, invariable she pokes her nose at my latest "boo boo", and looks at me like I'm supposed to do something about it.  She sniffs it for a while first, and then we greet each other.

I'm old and my skin is like parchment, so when I'm working in the garage, I come into the house with Purple blotches on my arm.  I'm not really hurt, but now it doesn't take anything for my skin to bruise.  As soon as I pick my old dog up and hug him, he starts licking my latest damage.  I really think he is trying to help me, in his own way.  We are pretty attached after all these years together.

22 minutes ago, janice6 said:

I routinely visit the neighbors dog over the fence, and when I reach out to pet her, invariable she pokes her nose at my latest "boo boo", and looks at me like I'm supposed to do something about it.  She sniffs it for a while first, and then we greet each other.

I'm old and my skin is like parchment, so when I'm working in the garage, I come into the house with Purple blotches on my arm.  I'm not really hurt, but now it doesn't take anything for my skin to bruise.  As soon as I pick my old dog up and hug him, he starts licking my latest damage.  I really think he is trying to help me, in his own way.  We are pretty attached after all these years together.

Same here. Dogs lick themselves when they hurt/cut themselves.  I read once that there is something in their saliva that the licking promotes healing and wards off infections.  All my dogs throughout life have wanted to lick my wounds in a loving way. 

Dave..

• Thanks 1

12 minutes ago, DrB said:

Same here. Dogs lick themselves when they hurt/cut themselves.  I read once that there is something in their saliva that the licking promotes healing and wards off infections.  All my dogs throughout life have wanted to lick my wounds in a loving way. 

Dave..

It's hard to argue with affection,

• Like 1