Guilty, guilty, guilty...

Mrs.Cicero

I just finished baking the second blueberry custard pie for today (this was after we finished off Sunday's blueberry muffins).  Tomorrow I will bake a cherry custard pie and a cherry clafoutis.  Then I will decide if I am up to baking a real cherry pie (with a real top crust, not a custard, which is what I do when I am too lazy to make a top crust).  And then I will contemplate what to do with the blackberries (I could bake more custard pies, but they don't freeze well so we would have to eat them all this week...).  What DOES this have to do with the title of the thread, you are wondering...

Well, I'm baking all this because I feel guilty wasting berries and cherries, and I don't feel like making any more jam (except one batch of cherry/hot pepper/tequila because I'm inventing that recipe).  But now that I've baked all this yummy stuff, I feel guilty for eating it, and for feeding it to everyone else because we all know desserts are bad for you, blah, blah, blah.  Why can't I either waste the darn berries(noooo!) or just enjoy all the desserts?  This is annoying the daylights out of me.

• Like 5
  • Sad 1

1 minute ago, Mrs.Cicero said:

I just finished baking the second blueberry custard pie for today (this was after we finished off Sunday's blueberry muffins).  Tomorrow I will bake a cherry custard pie and a cherry clafoutis.  Then I will decide if I am up to baking a real cherry pie (with a real top crust, not a custard, which is what I do when I am too lazy to make a top crust).  And then I will contemplate what to do with the blackberries (I could bake more custard pies, but they don't freeze well so we would have to eat them all this week...).  What DOES this have to do with the title of the thread, you are wondering...

Well, I'm baking all this because I feel guilty wasting berries and cherries, and I don't feel like making any more jam (except one batch of cherry/hot pepper/tequila because I'm inventing that recipe).  But now that I've baked all this yummy stuff, I feel guilty for eating it, and for feeding it to everyone else because we all know desserts are bad for you, blah, blah, blah.  Why can't I either waste the darn berries(noooo!) or just enjoy all the desserts?  This is annoying the daylights out of me.

The secret to a happy life is to not give a damn!

Happy does not equate to longevity, but if your happy, it will seem like forever!

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I had over-ripe bananas and there are two loaves of sour cream banana bread in the oven as we speak.

I can relate. It's difficult for me to waste food too. Luckily, I have co-workers that don't bake and LOVE that I bring in treats.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Zonny said:

I had over-ripe bananas and there are two loaves of sour cream banana bread in the oven as we speak.

I can relate. It's difficult for me to waste food too. Luckily, I have co-workers that don't bake and LOVE that I bring in treats.

Blessed are they that feed the unwashed masses.  Workmates are thankful, I speak from experience.

• Like 2

46 minutes ago, holyjohnson said:

No,ma'am.

no matter how it is prepared you are eating fruit and fruit is healthy.

i don't think it becomes unhealthy until ice cream is introduced.

Ice Cream is a dairy product. Dairy is one of the primary food groups, along with SUGAR!

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

14 hours ago, Mrs.Cicero said:

Have you considered making wine or even brewing beer?

A Blackberry port or Cherry Stout will keep longer than jam.

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

I used to go U-Pick blueberries every year and freeze about 20 lbs. Cost was $2.75/lb, then went up to $3/lb.

The last two years Sprouts market had blueberries on sale for $2.99 for 18 oz. After buying our 20 lbs for putting up, they dropped the price to 2 for $5 for the 18oz packages. Bought some more (can't resist a bargain).

I don't go picking anymore.

1 hour ago, billkill said:

Have you considered making wine or even brewing beer?

A Blackberry port or Cherry Stout will keep longer than jam.

Beer and wine around here will get drunk way faster than the jam will get eaten!  I'm forever bitching that someone has drunk the tequila/champagne/rum/wine/whiskey I was going to put in my next batch of jam...

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, BamaBud said:

I used to go U-Pick blueberries every year and freeze about 20 lbs. Cost was $2.75/lb, then went up to $3/lb.

The last two years Sprouts market had blueberries on sale for $2.99 for 18 oz. After buying our 20 lbs for putting up, they dropped the price to 2 for $5 for the 18oz packages. Bought some more (can't resist a bargain).

I don't go picking anymore.

I usually pick my own, but this year I was short of time, and I got 20# for $58 already picked.  If I had picked it myself, it would have been $50.  I figured the time saved was worth $8.

11 hours ago, Borg warner said:

It all sounds good, but what's a clafoutis?

Cherry is my favorite pie but I'm diabetic and can't eat it. But sometimes my nephew's wife makes me a special Huckleberry pie with stevia instead of sugar.  They just got done picking  gallons of fresh huckleberries.

That's really considerate of her.  Nice.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Dric902 said:

Chocolate cake for breakfast

its got eggs, milk, flour. Sounds like breakfast to me

Many think I am joking about how I eat.  I never kid about junk food.

Incidentally, yesterday I went to the Dr.s for an annual physical.  They insisted that I lost 20 lbs and asked if this was intentional.  I told them yes, I was uncomfortable with my weight at 230, so I quit eating good food and just stayed with junk food.

Of course I didn't tell her  that if that wouldn't have worked, I would have quit eating all together. Eating is greatly over stated activity and it's just another way to take time away from important things.

(I still think their scale is broken)

• Haha 1

19 hours ago, Borg warner said:

It all sounds good, but what's a clafoutis?

Cherry is my favorite pie but I'm diabetic and can't eat it. But sometimes my nephew's wife makes me a special Huckleberry pie with stevia instead of sugar.  They just got done picking  gallons of fresh huckleberries.

Clafoutis is like a heavy custard without any crust.  Best lazy dessert ever.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Mrs.Cicero said:

Clafoutis is like a heavy custard without any crust.  Best lazy dessert ever.

Sounds interesting.  I'll have to look it up.  I used to make Custard Pies without crust because I hated making good crust with a fork when I was only interested in the Custard anyway.

Now that I'm married, I have perverted my wife into "crustless Custard".  Now I'm only one step away from a very messy bedroom.

Edited by janice6
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

I got the cherry custard done.  But everyone thought it would be fun to taste test it against the blueberry so they could tell me their favorite (excuses, excuses!), so it's already half gone. Results were split.  YD and I like the blueberry better (which is not cool, since the blueberry has a gluten crust and we're not supposed to be eating that) and OD and DH prefer the cherry (which is dumb, because that crust is gluten free graham cracker, and they can eat gluten without problems).   I think I should make the jam before the clafoutis, in case there aren't enough cherries (cherry season ended last Sunday).  If there aren't enough cherries for cherry clafoutis, there are certainly still enough blackberries at the neighbor's house... and she lets me pick them!  Or maybe rhubarb.  I still have a lot of rhubarb... which is weird for August.  it is usually done by the end of June and doesn't come back til mid-September.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1