Batman Is a Beta

Eric

• Administrators

I just heard the guy in front of me at Supercuts say, “I’ve got a picture.”, with that upward lilt at the end of the sentence, as if it were a question, when the lady asked him how he wanted his hair cut. I laughed and they both looked at me like I was the weird one. 

This is now a beta spotting thread. Give us what you got. 

• Haha 2

• Administrators
1 minute ago, Eric said:

I just heard the guy in front of me at Supercuts say, “I’ve got a picture.”, with that upward lilt at the end of the sentence, as if it were a question, when the lady asked him how he wanted his hair cut. I laughed and they both looked at me like I was the weird one. 

This is now a beta spotting thread. Give us what you got. 

Oh and he just removed his sunglasses from the back of his head when he sat down in the barber chair. That is just precious. 

I hate that talk-like-everything-is-a-freaking-question intonation.  I broke my kids of that stupid habit by asking them "Are you asking me or telling me?" EVERY single time they said anything that way.  If you re so unsure of reality that you say things that way, you need psychological help.  /Rant off/

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

On 8/13/2019 at 10:38 AM, Mrs.Cicero said:

I hate that talk-like-everything-is-a-freaking-question intonation.  I broke my kids of that stupid habit by asking them "Are you asking me or telling me?" EVERY single time they said anything that way.  If you re so unsure of reality that you say things that way, you need psychological help.  /Rant off/

Uptalk is intended to elicit a positive response or agreement from the listener.  It's annoying, but it's the way things are going.

More irritating is intentional vocal fry, since I sound like that all the time with no control over it.

• Sad 1

3 hours ago, UnifiedFieldTheory said:

Uptalk is intended to elicit a positive response or agreement from the listener.  It's annoying, but it's the way things are going.

More irritating is intentional vocal fry, since I sound like that all the time with no control over it.

Too bad the uptalk elicits a knee-jerk judgment on my part that the person speaking is a dingbat unsure of the validity of their own statements.  Not quite the positive response they are hoping for.  I am less bothered by the vocal fry, although when it is intentional, it does get irritating.

• Thanks 2

9 minutes ago, Huaco Kid said:

And if he wore a pastel Lone Ranger mask and had a rainbow lasso....

Wow!

GThirtysomething may be interested. Or, should it be interested?

My wife's cousin is a middle-aged woman and speaks with the constant, am I asking a question thing.  She wonders why her career is not going anywhere.

Edited by Al Czervik
  • Sad 1

11 hours ago, Al Czervik said:

GThirtysomething may be interested. Or, should it be interested?

My wife's cousin is a middle-aged woman and speaks with the constant, am I asking a question thing.  She wonders why her career is not going anywhere.

All the girls I have met during my visits with my Granddaughter at college, all of them, sound like that.  God it's irritating!