The Pointless Observation Emporium

Eric

• Administrators
38 minutes ago, janice6 said:

The good thing about Black is that it's easy to match.  The worst color to match is White.

Matching yellows was always a bitch for me. The pigments used in different colors each have their own unique characteristics. Yellows don’t cover worth a ****. They seem more translucent. So, the substrate shows through a little less after each coat and the color changes after each coat. Getting it to match the rest of the car, or the color swatch for that matter, can be a pain in the ass. It helps of course to use a yellow sealer and you cannot ever shoot yellow paint over a car that you didn’t shoot a coat of sealer on, if different color primers, spot putties, etc are visible.

I love to shoot black most of all. It covers quickly and flows out beautifully. If you did your job on the bodywork and prep, a black paint job is a beautiful thing. I also love shooting bright reds and oranges, although they don’t cover as well. Not a problem. You just have to be mindful of it.

Anything with metal flake in it gets a little harder. You have to shoot it evenly. Silvers are the worst. The pigment loves to mottle. I really don’t like shooting silvers. Whites cover well enough, but you have to have a uniform color to the body before you shoot it. I had a buddy that shot a ‘68 Mustang white. He hade grey primer on it. Red oxy primer, dabs of spot putty and finishing putties in a couple of shades. He didn’t seal it. He just shot the white paint. It looked ok initially, but the next morning, there were pale pink and turquoise patches all over the car, where the pigment from some of the printers and putties bled through. :biggrin: Anyway, once you get done shooting a white car, well, it’s just white. It’s hard to get excited about a white paint job.

Blacks were my favorite paint jobs and silver colors were my least favorite. I’ve shot, color-sanded and buffed out a lot of black paint. It looks like wet ink when you get done. Now that is a paint job to get excited about. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, railfancwb said:

Used to be signs posted which said

SLOW MEN WORKING

That generated so much comment it was changed... several times... think after all the smart remarks and protests it now says

WORKING

Even that generates snorts.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I was just telling the wife today that the local power company has been changing out the wooden power poles with aluminum ones. Made gravel paths for the trucks, poured the foundations, placed the poles built wooden frames across three highways, laced the lines and adjusted the tension, packed up and left.

the street department has been working on the same small intersection since two weeks before, and they still haven’t finished.

one is a private company, the other are public employees

• Like 2

9 hours ago, Eric said:

Matching yellows was always a bitch for me. The pigments used in different colors each have their own unique characteristics. Yellows don’t cover worth a ****. They seem more translucent. So, the substrate shows through a little less after each coat and the color changes after each coat. Getting it to match the rest of the car, or the color swatch for that matter, can be a pain in the ass. It helps of course to use a yellow sealer and you cannot ever shoot yellow paint over a car that you didn’t shoot a coat of sealer on, if different color primers, spot putties, etc are visible.

I love to shoot black most of all. It covers quickly and flows out beautifully. If you did your job on the bodywork and prep, a black paint job is a beautiful thing. I also love shooting bright reds and oranges, although they don’t cover as well. Not a problem. You just have to be mindful of it.

Anything with metal flake in it gets a little harder. You have to shoot it evenly. Silvers are the worst. The pigment loves to mottle. I really don’t like shooting silvers. Whites cover well enough, but you have to have a uniform color to the body before you shoot it. I had a buddy that shot a ‘68 Mustang white. He hade grey primer on it. Red oxy primer, dabs of spot putty and finishing putties in a couple of shades. He didn’t seal it. He just shot the white paint. It looked ok initially, but the next morning, there were pale pink and turquoise patches all over the car, where the pigment from some of the printers and putties bled through. :biggrin: Anyway, once you get done shooting a white car, well, it’s just white. It’s hard to get excited about a white paint job.

Blacks were my favorite paint jobs and silver colors were my least favorite. I’ve shot, color-sanded and buffed out a lot of black paint. It looks like wet ink when you get done. Now that is a paint job to get excited about. 

I shot most of my Whites when they were Alkyd Enamel and that stuff would cover anything damn near in one coat.  Two at least were done.  sure was a bitch when you got a bug in it!

Now the primer color is used as tint to the color coat and the gloss is shot independently with clear coat.  

In the lacquer days we used to shoot metallic and sometimes with the big flakes, we had to roll it down to smooth it before that layer cured, and before the clear was applied.

All in all, I like the fumes from the lacquer better than the other paints.  This is why most old car painters smoked a stogie, to kill the taste of the solvents.  You were damn near drunk when you finished the car.

Edited by janice6
  • Like 1

Just now, Dric902 said:

Pablo Picasso’s full name was:

Pablo Diego José Francisco de Paula Juan Nepomuceno María de los Remedios Cipriano de la Santísima Trinidad Ruiz y Picasso

He never lived down his grade school nickname, "PP".

• Like 3
  • Haha 2

• Administrators
47 minutes ago, minervadoe said:

A sense of humor is good for you. Have you ever heard of a laughing hyena with heart burn?

Bob Hope

A sense of humor is good for you. Have you ever heard of a laughing hyena with heart burn? Bob Hope
Read more at https://www.brainyquote.com/search_results?q=humor

If a Laughing Hyena says it has heartburn, it’s probably Lion.  

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

I was just telling the wife today that the local power company has been changing out the wooden power poles with aluminum ones. Made gravel paths for the trucks, poured the foundations, placed the poles built wooden frames across three highways, laced the lines and adjusted the tension, packed up and left.
the street department has been working on the same small intersection since two weeks before, and they still haven’t finished.
one is a private company, the other are public employees

Examined some poles on the ground at such an upgrade. They looked aluminum, at least the color, but seemed to actually be hollow concrete castings.

• Thanks 1

33 minutes ago, railfancwb said:

Examined some poles on the ground at such an upgrade. They looked aluminum, at least the color, but seemed to actually be hollow concrete castings.

The latest power company install in the middle of my state, is massive towers for cross country distribution of very high voltage lines. 

The power company decided to go the cheapest route, so the poles criss cross the highway, back and forth over it, depending on which farmer sold the rights for the least amount of money. 

Then to top off the fantastic visual, they leave the steel towers in a dark rust color instead of a paint finish.  The sad part is that the land these abominations occupy, don't get any advantage from their existance.  They are to send power to far flung users a long distance away.

• 2 weeks later...