Got some new iron today

• 2 weeks later...

I ran an old 935, a 966 and a 988 in a Southern Pine Dimension Width Lumber Mill. The 935 was for clean up. The 966 and 988 were for unloading log trucks and feeding the in-feeds to the Band Saw Mill and the old Chip-n-Saw mill. Lots of power at your finger tips. We didn’t have a Gib Crane to unload the log trucks so you worked your ass off between the log yard and the mills. 

2 minutes ago, Will Beararms said:

I ran an old 935, a 966 and a 988 in a Southern Pine Dimension Width Lumber Mill. The 935 was for clean up. The 966 and 988 were for unloading log trucks and feeding the in-feeds to the Band Saw Mill and the old Chip-n-Saw mill. Lots of power at your finger tips. We didn’t have a Gib Crane to unload the log trucks so you worked your ass off between the log yard and the mills. 

What sawmill? My Dad has been a SYP lumber broker for over 40 years.

That was over 30 years ago.  My father was a registered forester and did the timber procurement for Potlatch’s Southern Mill in Warren and the Paper Mill in Arkansas City for over 30 years. He took early retirement at 59 and went on his on for the last 14 years of his life. 

Edited by Will Beararms

On 8/8/2019 at 12:18 PM, Walt Longmire said:

I'll retire with nice stuff.

All my working life I accumulated every tool I thought I might find useful to do any job I could imagine.  It's a decision I have never regretted it in my retirement life, ever!

KUDO's to any guy that likes tools!!!!!

• Like 4

On 8/18/2019 at 2:32 PM, Will Beararms said:

That was over 30 years ago.  My father was a registered forester and did the timber procurement for Potlatch’s Southern Mill in Warren and the Paper Mill in Arkansas City for over 30 years. He took early retirement at 59 and went on his on for the last 14 years of his life. 

Cool. Stayed at Potlatch's condo thing there in Warren one time when I toured the mill, they grilled us steaks right there in the courtyard.

• Like 1

They called it the Staff House. Mother cleaned the old one for extra income when I was a baby. 

The huge cedar tree next to it was a Christmas tree for the mill family. They hung lights in it and we gave our list to Santa. 

The Staff House is now a bed and breakfast. All of the esprit d’corps is gone in the name of the bottom line. 

Potlatch had an a number one system——they had their own mechanics, their own road crew, etc. When they did a logging job, they built elaborate banking grounds, built roads, fixed fences and took very good care of the landowner. The corporate folks and rocket scientists ended all that. 

The Warren Mill is still very well run and clean as a pin. The people that make a career of it are well taken care of by today’s standards. 

Even though Dad took early retirement at age 59, he had a pension until he died. My stepmother still has his health benefits that Medicare doesn’t cover. 

For what it is worth, the land base in Warren, AR and Bradley County has been producing since 1919. They are just  now starting to cut the hardwood and it is incredible.  Before so many people started wanting to imitate Phil Robertson, we used to hammer Mallard Ducks in the flooded hardwoods of Ouachita river bottoms in South AR. Easy credit and Duck Dynasty took care of that. 

• Like 1