The U.S. Secret Service chooses Glock!

Gunboat1

Wow, Going from a non striker Sig in .357sig to a striker Glock in 9mm.

Holy drastic change Batman!

I read on another forum that there is now a law that says their Sig guns can not be sold to the public, is this true? 

Yup.  Before I retired, I carried the Glock 17, as a POW.  The 26 was authorized as a back up POW.  You were the odd man out with the Sig DAO .40's, but everyone was going to 9mm'as rumored about the time I left.  I prefer the 19 over the 17 when it was an issued Customs pistol when they decided to make the ICE merger.  It is a cheaper round to obtain, and buy in bulk.  I only carried the 9mm, as that was only authorized caliber for Glocks.  I preferred the Glock trigger over a DAO.  But, it would seem just about everyone including DPS is going 9mm, much to their chagrin.  

On 8/4/2019 at 8:32 PM, Mike said:

I read on another forum that there is now a law that says their Sig guns can not be sold to the public, is this true? 

41 Code of Federal Regulations § 102-36.375.

Short version - GSA is allowed to transfer certain firearms to State and local government law enforcement agencies who have arrest and investigative powers, but all other weapons declared surplus or obsolete must be destroyed first and then sold off as scrap material.

All Federal surplus firearms go to a facility in West Virginia to meet their end in a massive metal shredding machine. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 8/10/2019 at 10:39 PM, blueiron said:

Short version - GSA is allowed to transfer certain firearms to State and local government law enforcement agencies who have arrest and investigative powers, but all other weapons declared surplus or obsolete must be destroyed first and then sold off as scrap material.

All Federal surplus firearms go to a facility in West Virginia to meet their end in a massive metal shredding machine. 

Good to know. Thank you!

• Like 1

On ‎8‎/‎10‎/‎2019 at 9:39 PM, blueiron said:

The NFTTU  takes weapons that are no longer used by the Government, and melt them to slag. That is the sad part.  None of the handguns are special, that the public can't use them like all other law enforcement agencies who sell their firearms to the public do.  Obama who only thought that terrorists and other foreign governments should have them, and the kind that the citizenry were barred from having since May, 1986.  The Remington 870's by Wilson combat are 14 inches and are an NFA item, but that could be managed by NFA distributors.  The M-4's in the same length can't so anywhere but another law enforcement agency.  So, I made the suggestion under the former President's SAVE program to save taxpayer money.  It didn't fit into his political scheme.  Now, the long standing tradition of destroying perfectly resalable weapons continues.  They could at least re-coop some of the losses once a Bubba deal goes through for yet another set of issued firearms.

It's not really a surprise the USSS changed calibers, as that was a rumor I'd heard within LE training circles more than a year ago. As I recall, it was mentioned that a couple of the fed agencies currently using .357SIG were reportedly planning transitioning to 9mm as their existing ammunition stockpiles of .357SIG were being depleted through training.

Nothing was mentioned about planned T&E to replace the existing brand weapons with another brand, but it's hardly surprising that the more expensive metal-framed weapons would end up being replaced by one of the current much-less-expensive plastic weapons seeing a lot of duty use. Especially when there are already existing major LE/Gov/Mil contracts that could be piggy-backed upon.

Granted, this will inevitably cause some consternation and angst among some .357SIG groupies in the private owner world, but what doesn't do that? ;)  The caliber has been declining for some time in the LE/Gov world.

Things move on. (And sometimes go in circles, or at least behave cyclically. ;) )

Ironically, when the war was "hot" in Iraq and Afghanistan that 9nmn's were in short supply, so those of us with POW Glocks that were allowed in 9mm, were always getting shorted.  Now, suddenly they have a huge cache.  Funny that.

• 1 month later...

I know the reports are of the SS, FBI, etc choosing xxx pistol or ammo or holsters....but

they submit what they want and GSA makes the decision based on the budget requirements and the sweetheart level of the contract. Sometimes they get what they want, sometimes they get the 2nd or 3rd option