How Hot is it Where You Are

DrB

95 deg. in the shade here.  I have to come in every so often to cool down.  High humidity, no breeze.  Getting old it's harder for me to take the heat like I did in my 20's.  Back outside now again.

Dave..

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

50 minutes ago, Maser said:

It's been just barely getting to 100.  I'm not happy unless it's at least 105. 

Right?

Southern Alabama.  Working all week in a 60 year old boiler house.

If you can't take the heat,  go back to the kitchen!

• Like 2

83 F right now.  I'm gearing up for a week of 90's starting tomorrow.  When it gets so the Air is running steady, I turn on a little plant mister, like this:  s-l1000.jpgand let it spray at the Condenser, steady.

It only uses  around 1/2 gallon per hour, but it increases the efficiency of the unit.  The air is dry so there is little moisture to collect on the condenser.  With the spray the heat capacity of water is much higher than the heat capacity of air.  This means my Air conditioner can work less due to the higher efficiency of the condenser unit.

I bought about a dozen in case one plugs up, I just throw it away and put on a new one.  25 feet of 1/4" plastic tubing and an inline filter from the hose fitting.  IIRC the hose fitting costs about $8.  I love this setup.

Edited by janice6
  • Like 4

2 hours ago, Presguy said:

I love that idea. Many years ago, my grandpa lived in the high desert. Most people used swamp cooling, but he had emphysema and preferred the dry air of Air Conditioning. Adding misters like that to his condenser made a *huge* difference in how well the AC worked in high desert temps.

Like you mention, he did add some kind of filter, I think to keep minerals from collecting on the condenser fins.

He might have had a mineral problem but the reason I put a filter on the water supply to the mister is that it doesn't take much of anything to plug up the very small hole in the mister.  The filter in my case is a particulate filter.

My air conditioning guy thought this was a great thing to increase the capacity of the unit.

4 hours ago, janice6 said:

83 F right now.  I'm gearing up for a week of 90's starting tomorrow.  When it gets so the Air is running steady, I turn on a little plant mister, like this:  s-l1000.jpgand let it spray at the Condenser, steady.

It only uses  around 1/2 gallon per hour, but it increases the efficiency of the unit.  The air is dry so there is little moisture to collect on the condenser.  With the spray the heat capacity of water is much higher than the heat capacity of air.  This means my Air conditioner can work less due to the higher efficiency of the condenser unit.

I bought about a dozen in case one plugs up, I just throw it away and put on a new one.  25 feet of 1/4" plastic tubing and an inline filter from the hose fitting.  IIRC the hose fitting costs about $8.  I love this setup.

I have seen something like this.   https://www.coolnsave.com

I remembered when I saw your hack.

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, CincyRed said:

I have seen something like this.   https://www.coolnsave.com

I remembered when I saw your hack.

I do remember that too.  I had been using mine for some years by then.  I thought that this was overcomplicating the issue, since once you have water dripping in the condenser fins more water doesn't make a great deal of difference.  But I'm not knocking it, to each his own.

today  100 in shade ,  humidity index  500 %  . 

saturday is take trash off day ,  pass some tobacco fields  with group of dudes walking the rows topping the blooms  and suckers and i thought , damn glad im retired .  i remember those days .   

for those not in the know you have to pull the suckers and top the blooms or when it comes time to cook in the tobacco barn  the tobacco weighs less when sold which means 

losing money  . 

• Like 1

How hot is it? It's too hot to go night fishing. Not for me, but for the fish. After it hits 98 today it might be too hot for me. They're predicting a week or two of 95 degree days here.

It's 8 a.m., 75*F and 92% humidity. The windows are dripping, the grass is dripping, the cars are dripping - everything as usual is wet with dew. This could be brutal later. Good thing I mowed yesterday afternoon when the grass was almost dry and it was only 92.

• Sad 1

Humid and hot.  But, on the bright side we are not drowning like the French Quarter.  But, then Texas didn't put on a lavish Pride Parade like the French Quarter did.  I don't believe in life there are very many coincidences. 

• Like 1

Our 92 degree heat today is being mitigated by severe thunderstorms this evening.  They will arrive in a few minutes so I wait in wild anticipation.

You just know the dog will want to go potty outside as soon a s the worst of the storm arrives.